Where we fit in

If you have an unresolved complaint against a supplier, you may first attempt to have it resolved by means of alternative dispute resolution with the assistance of the Consumer Goods and Services Ombudsman. We give the supplier the opportunity to resolve the complaint, failing which we help the parties to reach an agreed settlement.

In the relatively few cases that the supplier refuses to cooperate or we are unable to resolve the matter, you may refer it to the National Consumer Commission, which has the legal power to investigate the complaint and impose a compliance notice on the supplier. Either party that is not satisfied by the outcome there can approach the Tribunal to reconsider the matter. Only the Tribunal can impose a fine upon a supplier for contravening the provisions of the CPA.

As the complaint escalates through the process, so the approach becomes more formalistic.

consumer goods and services ombud