Magauta holds an Honors Degree in Applied Linguistics and a Postgraduate Diploma in English Education from Wits University. She started her career as a Junior Lecturer in the Department of Applied Linguistics at Wits University. She then joined the Department of Trade and Industry where she was instrumental in driving the development and enactment of the National Credit Act and Consumer Protection Act.
She is an Accredited Court Annexed Mediator and has previously served as an adjudicator and mediator at the Gauteng Consumer Court, Gauteng Rental Tribunal and National Consumer Tribunal. She is also involved in the mediation of credit disputes.
She recently completed the International Executive Development Program in Developmental Finance offered by Wits University. Magauta is a respected commentator and speaker on consumer protection issues, having addressed conferences in many parts of Africa and internationally.
Her passion is to ensure a healthy and fair credit and consumer protection market in South Africa through influencing policy and legislation as well as ensuring access to redress for consumers.
She currently holds the following Non-Executive positions:
- Non-Executive Director of the South African Fraud Prevention Service.
- Board Member of Micro Finance South Africa
- Board Member of the Short-Term Insurance Ombudsman
Previous Non-Executive Positions include:
- Member of the Financial Services Board Legislative Committee.
- Non-Executive Chair of the Consumer Goods and Services Ombudsman
- Board Member of the Credit Ombudsman;
- Mediator at the Gauteng Housing Rental Tribunal;
- Adjudicator at the Gauteng Consumer Court;
- Adjudicator at the National Consumer Tribunal;
- Member of the Unfair Practices Committee of the Department of Trade and Industry; and
- Board Member of the National Home Builders Registration Council, and Estate Agency Affairs Boards.