The CGSO was established to guide the consumer goods and services industry as to what is considered the minimum standards of conduct expected and to assist in resolving disputes that arise between consumers and suppliers in terms of the Consumer Protection Act (CPA).
- Act honestly, independently and objectively
- Have regard to fairness, justice, equity and the provisions of the CPA and its Code of Conduct
- Balance the rights of consumers on the one hand and the rights of the industry on the other
- Avoid discriminating against anyone on grounds contemplated in the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa and section 8 of the Consumer Protection Act
<b>View Qualifying Supplier List</b>
Supply chain agents
The Mission of the CGSO in to maintain Fair Play in the Consumer Goods and Services Industry by:
- Raising the standards of good conduct and increasing the level of certainty for all Participants;
- Offering guidance to Participants in the Industry as to the implementation of and the compliance with the CPA and what constitutes fair business practices to be followed when operating within the Industry;
- Educating Consumers as to their rights and redress available to them should a Participant breach the CPA or the Code; and
- Providing for a scheme of alternative dispute resolution as described in section 82 (6) of the CPA.
“To be recognized by all stakeholders as the speediest, most independent and fairest alternative dispute resolution service in the country, and one that is completely impartial and compliant.”
Our values are:
- Respect and Empathy: We treat our customers (both consumers and service providers) with respect and understanding.
- Fairness and Impartiality: We deal with complaints referred to us fairly and impartially and we treat both the participant and complainant with fairness throughout the complaint’s resolution process. We also make impartial and fair commendations based on relevant evidence and the law.
- Integrity and Honesty: We conduct ourselves with integrity and honesty.
- Accessible and Responsive: We are accessible to complainants, participants and stakeholders through quality and timely responses.
- Universality: We are ready to deal appropriately (resolve/refer) with every complaint regardless of whether it is within our jurisdiction or not.